Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Pedestal, Rotating, On Demand, One Each

From a drawer labeled "Motors and Controls" emerges a C-frame motor with a gearbox and a comparatively large pulley. Hmm. The size of the motor drove the height of the octagonal base. The motor,mounted on a hinge with a spring to bring it to tension with the inside of the turning part of the lazy susan bearing, had everything but traction. The solution was some fuel line, purchased at the reliable CentWise Hardware Store. I joined the two ends with a bolt cutoff, bent slightly. It does not slip. A curious feature of the motor was a brake. Remove the 110 volts and it stops rather quickly. I was concerned that might not be good, but I chose first to leave it engaged. It's fine. Kinda cool, actually. The switch on the box inside the base lets you select off, continuous, or on demand. If Macy's calls and wants me to do their windows, I'll tell them you're about to order a bass and I have no business going to New York just to do window dressing when I can stay home and do what I do best--make tools for musicians. And pedestals to put them on. The tools, not the musicians, though some of them truly have earned pedestals.

No comments: